Monday, April 16, 2018

Hamburger Steak with Mushroom-Rosemary Gravy




It's Monday.  And some Mondays I just want to set the tone for the rest of the week by making a really satisfying, delightful meal.

Knowing that I had a pound of grass-fed organic beef in my meat drawer, I decided to capitalize on this flavorful cut and make it special.  Turns out I also had a package of mushrooms in the veggie drawer... and a plan was conceived. 

So Monday morning over a cup of coffee I sketched out a menu:
  •  Hamburger steak
  • Mushroom gravy
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Roasted asparagus
It was a simple and basic menu, yes, but one that was sure to please.  

Hamburger Steak with Mushroom-Rosemary Gravy

Ingredients:
1 pound of the best ground beef or chuck you can afford
Seasoned salt and pepper
1 small package of mushrooms, medium diced
2 cloves garlic , minced
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 c. dry red wine (or substitute beef broth)
3/4 c. beef broth
2 tbsp. flour
3 tbsp. cold water
1 tsp. dried rosemary (or 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, minced)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp. dried parsley
salt to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste

Instructions:
Form beef into 4 oval patties.  Season generously with a seasoning salt or blend. Let set while you make the gravy.
  •  Saute mushrooms in butter and oil for 3 minutes.
  • Add garlic and rosemary and saute 1 minute.
  • Add red wine (or broth ) and simmer 3 more minutes.
  • Add beef broth and continue simmering 5 minutes.
  • Whisk flour into water until smooth and well blended.
  • Stir flour mixture into mushroom mixture until well blended.
  • Add seasonings.  Cook until bubbly and thickened.  If too thick, add a bit more wine or broth.
  • Add parsley. Salt and pepper to taste.
Heat a a non-stick skillet over medium flame.  Add steaks.  Cook about 8 minutes on each side until browned nicely and very slightly pink in the center.  Remove from heat and tent with aluminum foil for 5 minutes.

Serves 3-4.

This is good served over mashed potatoes.  Roasted asparagus would also be perfect to serve alongside this very happy dish.

Enjoy!  And thanks for stopping by!
~Mountain Housewife



3 comments:

  1. Oh my! This sounds so delicious! I just sent a text to a friend who sells organic beef to ask her how much she charges for ground beef. If I can afford it, I want to try your recipe soon. I love your idea of making a good dinner on Monday night to set a good tone for the week.

    I truly appreciate your kind comment on my blog. Thank you so very much for taking time to talk back. I've been blogging for years, and I can tell you, the comments make it so nice. I feel like I'm making friends all over the world. I hope we'll be blog friends, too. I'll be back for a visit to read more.

    God bless you!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
    lauraofharvestlane at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Somehow I misread the title of this recipe. I thought it said Salisbury steak! I made it tonight. It was delicious. I bought some ground beef from a friend who uses all the cuts of the beef in her burger. Yum! Thanks for the recipe.
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this. It was delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe.
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Loving your husband: Fulfill his sexual desires.

That they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children. - Titus 2: 4 (KJV) The closer a woman ge...

Popular Posts