Monday, May 7, 2018

Chocolate Meringue Pie



My husband's family has a tradition of serving pies for birthdays.  My father-in-law turned 91 on Sunday, and so I decided to make him a chocolate meringue pie in the grand, Southern fashion, with a milk chocolate filling and a fluffy and sweet, mile-high meringue using my grandmother's recipe.

Now this is no quick and easy recipe so I started on Saturday.  First, I made the crust (if you are going to the trouble to make a pie, why not go all out and make the crust, too?).  Then I cooked the filling.  Finally, I concocted the meringue.  It is an entirely doable and enjoyable dessert, if you take your time, go in steps, and enjoy the process.

And the look on his face when my dear Father-in-law took the first bite was worth the trouble.


Miriam's Chocolate Pie

The filling

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp. cocoa
5 tbsp. flour

4 tbsp. butter
2 cups milk

5 eggs, separated

1 tsp. vanilla
3 drops lemon flavoring or 1/2 tsp. cider vinegar
4 T. butter

Instructions:
Pre-bake a pie shell.  Prick holes in it with a fork and bake about 8-10 minutes at 450 degrees.
  • Separate eggs at room temperature.
  • Mix sugar, flour and cocoa in a large saucepan or double boiler. 
  •  Add melted butter slowly and gradually.  
  • Add milk, then stir until combined well.  
  • Add a small amount of mixture to egg yolks and stir until combined.  Add this to rest of mixture. Cook until  thickened.
  • Add the rest of the butter and flavorings.

The Meringue

Ingredients:
  • 5-6 egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp.  salt
  • 1/2 tsp. almond flavoring
Instructions:
  • Beat  egg whites and cream of tartar until the mixture starts to get foamy. 
  • Gradually add sugar.  Add  salt and almond flavoring. 
  • Beat until peaks form and meringue is  stiff and glossy.
To assemble and bake the pie:
  • Pour chocolate custard into the pie shell. 
  •  Pile meringue onto hot filling, making sure that the meringue touches the edges of the crust.  This will keep it from shrinking while baking.  
  • Bake at 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the peaks of the meringue are golden brown.




4 comments:

  1. Your recipe says milk but the ingredients don't list any milk. It does list butter twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that does look delicious! I've got a recipe that I've used for most of our married life. I dare not change, but this looks so good!
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good website! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes it is. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your RSS which may do the trick? Have a great day! Emerald Diamond exporter

    ReplyDelete

Loving your husband: Fulfill his sexual desires.

That they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children. - Titus 2: 4 (KJV) The closer a woman ge...

Popular Posts